The Need for Blood
Blood products collected from your pet are used to help treat patients hospitalized in our Companion Animal Hospital. Approximately 500 transfusions are given each year. This would be impossible without the support of our blood donors. One blood donation can help up to four different patients. The OVC Health Sciences Centre guarantees a fresh, high quality supply for our patients by taking donations and producing blood products in-house.
- Free heartworm testing each Spring.
- Free heartworm preventative medication for the heartworm season (June to November).
- Free nail trim after each donation, if needed.
- Free annual check of your dog’s blood, urine and feces for abnormalities and/or parasites.
- Free physical examination given by a Registered Veterinary Technician prior to each donation.
- One 8 lb bag of dog food after each donation.
- One free bag of dog treats after each donation.
We are looking for
We are looking for large, friendly, healthy dogs between the ages of 1-5 years, weighing more than 25 kg. (55 lbs.). Donor dogs must be on a cooked or kibble diet and are required to give blood once every two to three months.
University of Guelph
Ontario Veterinary College
OVC Health Sciences Centre Blood Donor Bank
Guelph Ontario N1G 2W1
Click here to download an application form: Blood Donor Application Form