Emergency service is provided for all of our current patients and new patients, referrals and non-referrals, 24/7 all year long. Please contact the Small Animal Clinic at 519-823-8830 to inquire about all our services or schedule an appointment.
Certain animals cannot be admitted, examined, or treated at the OVC Avian and Exotic Medicine Service without specific approval from the Head of Service due to liability and safety issues. These include, among others, privately owned non-domestic felids, large crocodilians, primates, bats, raccoons, skunks, and opossums. We do not see venomous snakes or venomous invertebrates. Clients presenting wildlife species as owned animals must have the appropriate Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Canadian Wildlife permits in order to be seen. Please contact the OVC Small Animal reception to speak with a clinician if you are interested in having us see an animal that falls under these guidelines.
Below is a list of species the OVC Avian and Exotic Medicine Service will examine.
- Parrots, cockatoos, lories
- Birds of prey (falcons, hawks, eagles, vultures, owls)
- Waterfowls (ducks, swans, geese)
- Racing pigeons and other columbids
- Pet chickens, turkeys, and quails
- Passerine birds (fringillidae, estrildidae, exotic passerines)
- Toucans and other pet ramphastids
- Ratites (ostriches, emus)
- Zoological avian species (cranes, hornbills, pelicans, water birds…)
- Chelonians: turtles and tortoises
- Snakes (excluding venomous snakes)
- Other squamates
Companion exotic mammals
- Guinea pigs
- Other rodents: chinchillas, rats, mice, hamsters, gerbils
- Sugar gliders and African pigmy hedgehogs
- Pet pigs, goats, and small ungulates are seen by the Large Animal Clinic
- Pet fish and invertebrates